Welcome from the Straightforward Mom.....

Are you looking for encouragement? Are you looking for answers? Are you looking for hilarious stories? Are you just trying to make sure you haven't gone crazy? This is the blog to read! There's a little bit of everything for everyone!

Friday, September 17, 2010

What are my Options?

I had an awesome opportunity to see a former player of mine suited up in her college athletic uniform tonight. You have a moment of pride when you see a child that you mentored do something beyond high school. I can't help it.....it makes me smile.

We showed up in Straightforward Family fashion (at the last moment--we live in SF time). Straightforward Son entertained the crowd with his dance moves whenever music blared over the speakers (Straightforward Dad and I are facing the fact that it is quite possible that we may have a dancer on our hands). While watching the game, I was able to talk to some friends about options for our children. Frankly, when it comes to education, there's not much out there anymore. I was brought up as a "Christian school kid." I never stepped foot in a public school for an extended period of time until my student teaching. That one experience opened my eyes to just what I had been missing--not much. My parents sacrificed each and every year to make sure my sister and I were able to learn in a safe, Christian environment. I don't think I could thank them enough for loving me enough to go without so I could be there.

Unfortunately, Christian education is not as valued as it has been in the past. Due to financial issues, many Christian schools are having to close their doors or condense their programs in order to stay alive. Right now, Straightforward Son is at a Christian preschool (I am very thankful for them and they are doing great things with him). Currently, they service students from babies through K-5. That gives me a cushion of a few years to figure out what to do with my son. However, after talking with my friends this evening, I realized that I need to start thinking about it now. I am blessed that I don't have to make a quick decision. Raising high school students, they are not so lucky. What are my options?

For those of you who don't know, I am homeschooling one student this year. In the past, I have not been a big fan of homeschooling. However, over the last few years, my family has been in close contact with several homeschool families. Each of these families have provided me with an insight into an option that I had never considered before. Since I have started homeschooling the Straightforward Cousin, my opinions have changed. Does this mean I would be able to do it for my own children? To be straightforward and honest, probably not. BUT, that doesn't mean I wouldn't do it. With less options each year, I have to be prepared for anything. I am thankful for this opportunity to homeschool and to "dip my toes" in the deep end.

My heart is saddened by the fact that Christian schools are fading and no one seems to care. I see churches supporting public schools with advertisements and other types of endorsements. Yet, they don't reach out to the schools that teach about our Lord and Savior. Of all the people in the world who should support this type of teaching, it should be our churches.

I know this post will not be popular with a number of people. Well, I don't call myself the Straightforward Mom for nothing! I have to share my thoughts and feelings because I care about people. I care about children--especially my own. Being able to see two of my "Christian school kids" (one playing college volleyball at Brenau and one studying at UGA) was such a blessing. It gave me hope for the future and reminded me that Christian education is important.
Seeing their lights shine for Christ made me smile again. I was proud to have a small hand in helping fan that light.


3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much!!! as a christian school kid i really and truly consider it a blessing! being a sheltered christian school kid was hard.. but i wouldnt change my expierances for the world... (well ok you got me... all up until my last 2 years of high school but who wouldnt hate those years)
    love you coach!
    thanks for introducing me to and coaching me in volleyball
    love,
    ash (your spaz forever)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley--your parents sacrificed a lot to put you through private school! You truly are blessed! HAHA...you hated them because you missed me! :) You are welcome and I am very proud of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I appreciate your honesty. Interesting thoughts re: homeschooling.

    ReplyDelete