Welcome from the Straightforward Mom.....

Are you looking for encouragement? Are you looking for answers? Are you looking for hilarious stories? Are you just trying to make sure you haven't gone crazy? This is the blog to read! There's a little bit of everything for everyone!

Friday, November 12, 2010

Thanksgiving Reminders

As we approach the Thanksgiving season, I always begin thinking about those things for which I am grateful. We started a tradition a few years ago at our family Thanksgiving table where we go around and everyone shares what they are most thankful for from the past year. (I have to get a head start or I will draw a blank around people who always know the best things to say.) It's such a blessing to hear my family share such personal feelings.

If you ask around today, most people go for the typical things for which everyone should be grateful. Family, possessions and health all top the list in the minds of most people. These are all important things for which we should be grateful. However, there are a few things that I would like to remind you not to forget this year.

If you are a child of God, be grateful for your salvation. How can we not be? We were bought for a price. I think I can appreciate this even more now that I have sons. God gave his only Son for me. I can't imagine anyone for whom I would give my sons. My gratefulness and appreciation for this gift has increased since I can now relate more as a parent myself.

Don't forget to be thankful for forgiveness. Not only does our Father forgive us, ("As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us. Psalm 103:12) but we are able to forgive and be forgiven in this world. I have a new appreciation for forgiveness. There are things in the past that I have held over the heads of others that I have recently been able to let go of with the help of God. (Believe me, I could NOT do it on my own.) That feeling is worth being thankful for!

Be thankful for your church. No church is perfect. Spurgeon once said, "The day we find the perfect church, it becomes imperfect the moment we join it." How true is that statement? Be thankful for those who love, support, and lift you up in prayer in your body of fellowship. I have been so strengthened and encouraged by our church recently. They support my family and my children are learning so much from being there. I appreciate those who attend the Sunday School class the Straightforward Dad and I teach (well, he's been doing a lot more alone since the entrance of the Straightforward Baby). They are special to us. I also want to thank our children's department of our church for offering the Straightforward Son the opportunity to be in his first Christmas program. He's going to be "Angel #1," Joseph and sing a part of a song by himself. He is so excited about this program.

There are so many other things that are often left of the list, but I really wanted to focus on these three because they have been so prominent in my life this year. Leave me a comment on other things that are important to you that you feel are often forgotten!

No comments:

Post a Comment