Welcome from the Straightforward Mom.....

Are you looking for encouragement? Are you looking for answers? Are you looking for hilarious stories? Are you just trying to make sure you haven't gone crazy? This is the blog to read! There's a little bit of everything for everyone!

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Review: Bradley's Pumpkin Patch (Dawsonville, GA)

Some of you who are my Facebook friends already know that we took the Straightforward Family out to visit Bradley's Pumpkin Patch on Saturday. It was the perfect day for an October outing. Just to give you a little background info, the Bradley in the name was a previous student of mine. I am not blessed enough to say that I taught him agriculture, but I did teach him some history (well, I hope I taught him enough to appreciate where he comes from and what type of legacy he will leave). I also taught with his mom several years ago. They are great people and have a special family.

Bradley has been in the pumpkin business since he was five years old. Yes, you heard me right--five years old. When you drive up to the patch, you won't see a little boy run out to greet you though. You will meet one of the most respectful, kind businessmen you will ever meet. (He's pretty strong too! He carried some pretty large pumpkins for some customers that would impress most people.) Even though Bradley is in college, his heart is still in his work and the patch is busier than ever!
As usual in my blogs, I have digressed so I will get back to the story. We pull up to the patch and are greeted by some of the funniest signs you might find in a pumpkin patch. My favorite was the "Slow Pumpkin Crossing" sign that is right at the entrance. He also has a directional road sign that tells you how far to the patch and the North Pole (just in case you were wondering). The first thing you will notice when you arrive is the intimate setting of the patch. You might be thinking, "That's the strangest way anyone has ever described a pumpkin patch." I am not kidding. Even though there are tons of people milling around checking out the shop, pumpkins, hayride and more, you don't feel like you crowded by people like at some other pumpkin patches. You definitely feel like you are family (and they treat you like family).

The Straightforward Son enjoyed the Little Tikes roller coaster and other yard toys that were
all around the patch. He rode it forwards, backwards, and sideways. I thought at some point I would look over and he would be riding on his head. A pan of bubble juice (ok, I know that's not what it is called, but you know what I am talking about) sat near the pumpkins with wands of various shapes and sizes. The Straightforward Son made so many friends over the pan of bubble juice. (No, he wasn't drinking it!)

The hayride is an experience I will never forget. Bradley's dad is the driver. At first glance, it seems like any other hayride. The stories that you will hear from Mr. Weaver will fascinate and encourage you. You cannot get off that ride without feeling better about yourself and your kids. If you think I am kidding, go for a ride. He makes you feel special and tells stories that will
deepen your faith and relationships. His storytelling skills will amaze you.

If you check the website, you will find that they also offer classes at various times on dehydrating vegetables, baking bread, and more. I took some time to check out one of the classes that was in progress while I was there. (I can hear the jokes already.) Not only did I actually learn something about cooking (and we all know that is miraculous), but I learned how to save some money! To make things even better, free samples were passed around.

The shop offers all kinds of interesting things. From soaps to salsa, you will find a little something for everyone. I even had one customer tell me that she had bought a homemade musical toy in the store for $5.00 that she had seen in other handmade stores retailing for $50.00! The shop itself is an old home that has been moved to the property. It is gorgeous and adds a little something special to the experience.

And last but not least. . .the pumpkins. They have various sizes and types. It doesn't take much of a glance to realize that these pumpkins aren't those that you will pick up in front of Wal-Mart. These pumpkins have great shape and color. When I told the Straightforward Son he could pick out any pumpkin he wanted, I watched as his eyes lit up. In my mind I saw him running to a pumpkin that was just as big as him and saying, "Mommy! This one is what I want!" To my surprise, he ran right through the large pumpkins to the small pumpkins in the front. He grabbed two by the stems, held them up and said, "Mommy! I'll take these right here." Just goes to show that sometimes the small things in life are the best! The Straightforward Baby also found his own little pumpkin to take home and love (or chew). They are also famous for their cooking pumpkins (For all of you who are laughing that I even know that, I read it in Taste of the South magazine--http://www.bradleyspumpkinpatch.com/magazine.pdf). The fall decorations there are not only a good buy, but are beautiful to boot!

If you are looking for a great place to take your kids for a photo, this is the place to go. They didn't care that I sat the Straightforward Baby right in the middle of all their pumpkins trying for fifteen minutes to get him to look at me. There were families all over the patch doing the same thing. They also have several other photo shots set up for your convenience. If you can't get a good shot here, I don't know where you will get one.

Needless to say, Bradley's Pumpkin Patch is one of our new family traditions. If you haven't had your October adventure yet (or are looking for a tradition of your own), go check out Bradley's Pumpkin Patch. You can get more information at http://www.bradleyspumpkinpatch.com/. You can also pick up a copy of Georgia Magazine this month (http://georgiamagazine.com/currentissue.asp) . You might just recognize the guy smiling on the cover!

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed this and just longed to be there as you described it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make sure you check out the articles I linked to. They will give you a good idea about what the patch is about.

    ReplyDelete