Welcome from the Straightforward Mom.....

Are you looking for encouragement? Are you looking for answers? Are you looking for hilarious stories? Are you just trying to make sure you haven't gone crazy? This is the blog to read! There's a little bit of everything for everyone!

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Learning a "Lot"

So, I have been working really hard to "not" do things the past few days. I can already tell you that the devil has been making daily appearances and trying to get me "doing" things that I said I would not do. The "fear" thing has already reared its ugly head a few times, but the Lord is working a change in me. I could already tell a difference in how I reacted and my thought processes surrounding each situation. I still let it get to me too much here and there, but it has not been as bad.

So enough rambling and on to the topic of the moment. We are doing a fantastic study of Genesis on Wednesday nights at our church. Currently, we are studying Abraham and Lot in chapters 18-19. Most people heard this story as children (which is interesting considering the range of topics it covers) but probably have not sat down and really looked at what goes on in these chapters and how it applies to our lives today. I have to admit, I was one of those people. Luckily, this study has taught me to go further than the accounts I learned as a child and learn to apply them to my own life.

Just to catch you up, Abraham and Lot are relatives (uncle/nephew) who have traveled together for some time. They finally come to a point where there is fighting among them and Abraham tells Lot that he can choose wherever he wants to go and Abraham will go the other way so that there will be peace again. Lot looks toward Sodom and how nice it looks. Of course, he makes the immediate decision to head that way.

It wasn't a huge decision. "I am going to where the grass looks greener." We all make that decision at various points in our lives. Whether it be a better job, a bigger house, a faster car, or, forgive me, a better looking or younger spouse--we all do it--Christians included. Is this always a bad thing you say? No way--well except for the spouse part. In fact, sometimes the grass is greener on the other side. However, I don't know how quickly you make decisions, but I am learning that maybe I should be a little more of the thinker that I accuse the Straightforward Dad of being. Lot didn't really think when he chose Sodom. He just saw it looked better than where he was and left. But what were the consequences?

Well, that one little decision to head to greener pastures affected everyone around him. He ended up putting his family in one of the most perverse places ever (although America is definitely headed in that direction--just turn on your TV). Anyone that came near him would be put in danger (consider the heavenly house guests he had). He loses members of his family in the destruction of the city, he loses his wife on the way out, and his daughters that he has left are disturbed enough to commit incest (Imagine how warped your mind would be if your dad offered you up to men just so they would stay away from the heavenly guests?). He then fathers his own grandchildren who will then father two of the nations that will constantly harass Israel. YIKES. . . and this all stemmed from one decision.

I don't know about you, but when I went back and looked at Lot's story, I was shocked at how that one (what seemed like a great decision at the time) decision ended up causing a world of heartache for, not only Lot, but generations to come. One decision. . . consider that for a moment. Whoa.

That got me to thinking, and I mean thinking hard. Each decision I make is a lot bigger than I thought. Decisions about where I allow my child to be educated, where I attend church, what kind of information and shows I allow into my home and much more suddenly seemed even more important. I look back to my parents for inspiration. Did they make the best decisions every time? I think even they would tell you they did not. However, I think one of the biggest decisions they made that impacted my life for eternity was Christian education. I am glad that I never have to wonder "what if." I think most of you who know me realize that would have been the worst decision ever in my case. Did the grass seem greener on the other side to them at times? I am sure it did. I am sure my dad would have liked to have had someone work all those extra hours to help me prepare for college basketball. I know my mom would have loved to have had a counselor help me figure out all that financial aid stuff instead of having to study it backward and forward so we didn't forget anything. But they chose to keep me where they felt like the Lord wanted me to be. That decision led to other decisions I made in life. I chose Piedmont (but I had actually signed scholarship papers with another school), which is where I met the Straightforward Dad, etcetera, etcetera. I don't like to sit back and think what might have happened had those decisions worked out differently.

Did I always make the right decisions? No way. In fact, I made some pretty poor decisions along the way (that did affect others in my life). However, I have tried to learn from those mistakes and make better ones as I went a long. (Don't get all interested. I am not sharing them!)

I have learned a lot from Lot. Everything has a consequence--every action, every word, every decision. That's one of the most amazing things about being a Christian. God allows us to choose. He knows what we are going to do before we do it. He knows the stupid things we are about to do, but knows we have to learn the hard way to make better decisions down the line. Our pastor made an interesting comment about Lot's story last night. He mentioned how that one can tell the Bible wasn't inspired by men because men would have ripped out those chapters (and so many more). People want to be remembered for their good decisions. They don't want to be remembered for their big whopper mistakes.

I hope you will take a moment and read through the account in Genesis of Lot. His life is interesting and yet typical of people who live in this day and time. I challenge you to learn lots from Lot and return here to share your thoughts. I hope this will encourage you to think a little more about those decisions that seem so small and unimportant. They might just be the ones that change the course of your life!

2 comments:

  1. Great review! There are those who rush into decisions...then there are those (like myself) who sometimes suffer from paralysis of analysis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thanks. I think we have talked about this before. I go with it and you have to ponder. There has to be a happy medium. Have you ever wondered if you would have made the same decision as Lot? What a scary thought!

    ReplyDelete